Saturday, November 24, 2007

Life In Between Living...

Following in the same mood as my last post...
Fading away in the background, merging with the crowd, lost in the sea of monotony, over the din of a computer left in standby mode too long and a clatter of cluck, cluck, clack... That is my workspace. My daily prison. I loved my job. Notice the past tense. Writing on food and music was like a dream come true. Nevermind the peanuts they paid me in the name of a 'salary'. The perks in the form of an endless stack of music cd's, food reviews, wine tasting invites and gigs to attend kept me hale, happy and hearty. Nonwithstanding the two sizes it added to my 5 foot 7 inches frame.
Now, not so much. It gets old real fast they say, I think that process has started for me already. I have reached a stage in my job where I can sleep walk my way through every issue. My 'work shelf-life' has expired it seems. Okay that is a blatantly dangerous admission but what the heck. The creativity, the zest, the enthusiasm all wiped away by the indifference of The Man! My newspaper that is. And now I have a vague, nagging feeling that all my eccentricities are being drained away which automatically leads to no cooky, wacky writing by SIM. I am fighting this, real hard.
In the meanwhile brief update: I've decided to get inked. Am currently veering between two of my most favoured symbols from Egyptian mythology, being the ancient history geek that I am. Any suggestions anyone?

5 comments:

Crimson Feet said...

ok... you too! just read another blogger upset with work life! and am almost repeating the comment ! (feel like i am spamming but what the heck .. its fun) :)

check out my new initiative Monkeys In Mind

a blog which is a collection of real resignation letters

see the meta resignation concept there.. which basically implies that you resign in your mind not on paper! :)

if and when you do resign (eh eh eh *another wicked grin* ), please mail a copy to monkeysinmind@gmail.com

also, do i have the permission to repost this (with due credit to you) on the MIM blog?!

~~~~~~~~~

slightly off the topic - i sometimes get this feeling that i was an egyptian laborer in one of my past lives, working on pyramid construction job!!

SIM said...

cool conecpt crimson...love the idea!
sure go ahead, repost it if you please...though my vain attempts to quit or even broach that subject has met with stern looks from my ed and woo-ing of all kinds, so I might just stay put for a while, just to be pampered...

slightly off the topic: an egytian labourer constructing the pyramids eh! noble task that...maybe you need to reconnect with your past life and get in touch with some egyptology, the theories are way too powerful and the history way too enigmatic, which is why I am obsessed with it myself. I feel like I was a queen ;P
P.S: I got my tattoo already, its the Egyptian key of life. Cheers!

Crimson Feet said...

Thanks! the Meta Resignation is up on MIM now :)
check out

...if you dont mind, plz gimme a few details like... how long have you been in this job, is this your 1st or 2nd etc? ...just confirm the field also.. ur profile says media or communication.. tell me if its advertising, media planning, journalism etc?
thanks!


slightly off the topic: just wikied it.. ankh/key of life! very intriguing symbol.. multiple interpretations.

although i dont have a view point on "past lives", but it wud be exciting to explore...u never know whats in store... smthing like.. "so u were that evil queen who got me buried alive under the pyramid where i made the first and only architectural mistake of my life!?!" ;)
(i presume even the regular laborers would have been expert architects in order to flawlessly build such structures)

SIM said...

Well I am a journalist. First job. Been working for almost 1 and a half years now, used to freelance before this while still in college.

slightly off the topic: yes it is an intriguing symbol, the combo of masculine and feminine, a pre-cursor of the christan cross, the symbol of life.

yes I am the evil queen, haha! and I charmed the whole kingdom and the likes of you, with just a wicked smile :P

Punvati said...

Well I really don't mean to bother you, just curious.. I'm in college. I'm trying to start writing freelance myself. and I'm not able to get started, not even a little bit how did you? start freelancing that is. I can do it, that's for sure. some people just seem intent on having a graduate, some don't have the courtesy to return calls or mails after you send them the specially ordered sample article they asked for to "test" me, which i worked hard on.. yeesh... any advice at all? I'm all ears... Thanks a ton n i hope this doesn't bother u, giving career counseling to a fresher :)