Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Snippy, snippy... Bang, bang!

This is by far one of the most 'self' focussed months I've had in a long time and so I feel compelled to rant about it...

Besides the purgatory 'breaking of habit' spoken about in the last post, I had my A-ha moment (you know the ones where you find what you are meant to do in life), went through a mini makeover (as all inspirational chick flick plots involving personal growth must), spent zero money on shopping (that is THE big achievement!), gave my almost rusting brain a fair bit of writing exercise (outside the mandatory office work), meandered my way through one of Delhi's infamous underground market (the one where good gals supposedly do not go after sundown), met a LOT of old friends and usually did so over copious amounts of coffee and/or liquor (extremely fun either ways!)

Being single for the first time in almost 7 years is a refreshing change and really puts your life in perspective. Although a lot of people said I was turning into a cynic after reading my last post, I think of it as breaking the shackles of twosomes and being free. No more pre-ordained mid-week meals, Saturday night plans, Sunday movies and such.
Welcome Freedomville's newest resident: SIM

One's A-ha moment comes all of a sudden, out of the blue and when you least expect it. Just comes and hits you out of nowhere and BANG, you are never the same again. Like a relatively new but good director spoke to my colleague about how he was poised to become a zoologist until he saw a great film that changed his path. I found my calling over a completely random and unrelated conversation with a friend.
Life altering career switch is now in the pipeline

Then there was the SNIP and snap. You must've seen some film where the underdog heroin emerges from a cloud of perfume, hair products, mascara et all and has her day in the sun. I cut my hair (in accordance with dear pal Riyu's words, "Usually one gets radical haircuts when one is going through a transitionary phase.") took those summer dresses out of the closet and broke in the high heels. Feeling good, baby!

Oh and then there is the writing. If you have ever been involved in brainstorming sessions which see a small idea that matters to you take shape over numerous, sleepless nights and through innumerable discussions to become a full fledged project close to your heart... Then, you'd know what I am going through. The oppurtunity just fell in my lap and even though this work after work consumes my life at times, I am loving it!
If all goes well, you guys will hear about it soon. Fingers crossed.

And that brings me to the priceless Palika Bazaar foray. Even though that hilarious day deserves a post of its own... Renovatio and SIM's day out at one of the biggest illegal/black market adda's in town ensued a lot of memorable hilarity. Besides the fact that both movie lovers were making their debut scouting for rare to find films in the bewildering market, the pair collectively tower about a good 2 feet over most people's head which essentially means that the two mini giants standing in the middle of the bustling, underground (read low head clearance) market looking like lost puppies made for a one of a kind, perfect Kodak moment. Not to forget the rigorous 'screening' process that the guardian of our destination put us through before we were shown the light :P
P.S: those of you who read Reno's musings and complain about his decreased writing... I plead him daily to write about this adventure but with no avail.

Last but by no means least—there is no better way to spend gloomy, glorious, happy or otherwise mundane... heck, any type of day... than by catching up with old friends. School mates, college pals, old chums, long lost buddies, random acquaintances... its all bloody great! Mix in crazy amounts of caffeine or liquor with these endless conversations, gossiping sessions and philosophical discussions and you have a winner.
Added bonus: being introduced to a fab new single malt by a discerning connoisseur, regaining a lost love for JD on the rocks, having my first of many glasses of a beautiful South African wine and bringing one of my fave brews (the Hawaiian Kona) into the life of Reno who I also initiated into the coffee drinking process 2 years ago. Cheers to that!
fyi all the money saved from the non-shopping is now spent on these drinking bouts. Plus, it might be turning me into an alcoholic. Cheaper ideas anyone?

SIM is back, snipping-ly new and with a big bang. Over & out, for now.

14 comments:

Punvati said...

Coffee, liquor, liquor in coffee.. all fun if had with a generous helping of friends :P
So your life is a fun chick flick, complete with makeover.. nice way to put it hehehe
All the best for career switch girl... Hope to have one soon as well. Need a career for that first though.
Cheers! :D

nutty said...

:) Looks like you've been having fun!!

You certainly sound happy .. me happy for u :)

And mite I add .. very impressed? A girl who knows her wine and her scotch! Wow! You go gurl!

Crimson Feet said...

Three "cheers" to the fabulous freedom of the single life!! :)

I have been enjoying it of late myself and I can empathize with your pleasure-ful state!! ;)

AB said...

LOL Sim, you are one of the very FEW girls I know who would appreciate JD on the rocks...I once had to do a story on single malts. It left a bad taste in my mouth. Literally:-X

And what is Hawaiian Kona? Haven't come across that...

SIM said...

@ divya
thanks gurl :) and for sure, coffee and/or liquor are good combo's anytime! as far as the career bit goes, its overrated. you need to be happy before anything else in your life falls into place. cheers!

@ nutty
woo-hoo and then some madame! I am happy for me too ;P thanks for the props. learned to appreciate both fine wines and scotch on the job, well in time. And then the other day, discovered an unheard of single malt bottle whose logo was the same as my ink, so had to try it. all fun!

@ crimson
cheers to that mate! welcome to freedomville :)

@ ab
Ab baby, I don't just appreciate JD on rocks...they are my nectar. This post infact has been written in the afterglow of a particularly enchanting JD drinking session which saw me and my bud going through a whole bottle. don't you just love tuesdays!
and again, I think I've met you somewhere 'cos as I said, we seem to be doing the same job in the same city.
P.S: Hawaiian Kona is actually a coffee blend, its one of my faves. If you are around CP, you get it at United Coffee House or else Mocha does a mean version. happy drinking!

AB said...

Oh Mocha I head to then for sure. It is one of my fav coffee joints:D

SIM said...

@ AB
great... and if you do love coffee, then try the blend in its pure form, no au-lait.

Crimson Feet said...

and btw... bloody long time!!

AB said...

Ta da here I come Mocha:-)

SIM said...

@ crimson
I know but I intend to be more regular now. another benefit of living in Freedomville! absolute candid confessions :P

@ AB
lucky you...happy drinking!

Ekta said...

aaah..liberating!
Thats the feeling i got just reading ur post!
Enjoy the times...good and bad while they last...
My fav quote of all time is "May u live in interesting times"...note..not good times..but interesting!
Guess its all of this that makes life interesting...

Zee said...

andddddddddddddd welcome back! and pls to stay!

five_silver_rings said...

Hmm... interesting piece. Want more, really.

And single for the first time in 7 years? Man, you did need a breather.

SIM said...

@ ekta
Humbled and pleased with your comment. Life really is quite interesting!

@ zee
Gracias z, I do intend to stick around regularly. But darn work gets in the way... my next post has been in the draft folder for the past month now :(

@ silver
Thanks :) I am assuming you landed here through Reno's blog and I think I have a fair bit of an inkling as to who you are. And yes, the breather was quite a welcome change.