Friday, November 24, 2006

A Few Good Men... (Part II)

So as i said, this ain't the best situation to find yourself in. My diva-esque girlfriends seem to believe that it is a blessing. I got my pick from the kitty now they say...choose, use and dispose as and when i please. Hmm.
Normal women might revel in this kindda attention. i just think its a curse, coz as the years are ticking away, it seems to be getting more and more difficult to keep platonic pals. As far back as i can remember, i've always gotten along great with men. Women not so much...probably coz i detested gossiping, back-biting and bitching. ( Ahem, yes all womenkind can burn me at the stake now). It was always comfortable around men, i kicked their ass in basketball, picked up a lifelong love for cricket and the stock market and the sexual tension hadn't come into the equation to ruin things yet. And then, the inevitable happened. I lost the baby fat, cut my hair, got lenses, slung out them heels, shrunk the neckline and kissed teen years goodbye. That was it, all these men suddenly changed as well. The true-blue buddies stuck around, the rest found it too difficult to remain entirely neutral.
But i never knew that my behaviour was expected to change too. Why should it? I can still share a great conversation with a man over a cuppa joe or a glass of vino without sizing them up. For them, not so apparentely.
And these aren't the slimy, sleazebag varieties. Good, well spoken, charming but just looking to get in your pants. A fellow blogger simply explains it, 'friends who fuck'. Now this might work for some people. But i frankly don't care to be this frivolous just yet.
Maybe the thing is that i still see myself as that overweight, naive, young teen who never warranted a second glance. This sort of attention annoys me at best.
Ah, my few good men. One better than the other. Great listeners, always there for you even at 3 in the morning, the designated drivers when you drink yourself silly and pub-hopping mates when girlfriends throw a thousand excuses. I don't wanna lose them to this menace called sex.

7 comments:

InExile said...

then don't ! what seems to be the dilemma ?

Unknown said...

'...i am not a rich man.i am a poor man with lots of money...'

gabriel garcia marquez...

ani...

IR said...

maybe your few good men actually ended up liking you because you are their buddy -
after all how many "high maintenance but pretty,ooh-its too hot outside but hot"(maybe only physically) gf can a man handle !

SIM said...

@ inexile
no dilemma, but just the fact that their feelings for me have changed means my friendship with them will change...so in essence i have lost 'em

@ ani
hmm..that's interesting. the significance is lost on me though. i can be really daft at times

@ intimate
thx for the shout out girl ;)

@ ir
yup u are right there. thats exactly wat they say too. the prob is i need them as friends

moonstruck maniac said...

i dont think u have lost your friends...
and guess a of guys do end up liking their girl buddies as these girls know the man they are..
it gets really difficult to maintain a platonic relationship, been in one that leaves me in a strange dilemma at times...

4wD said...

I have a theory on this. I'm telling you, this is a science :)

I'll tell you even, someday :)

SIM said...

@ moonstruck
i know...getting more and more difficult to hang on them formerly platonic friends

@ ninja
im waiting with bated breath to hear out ur theory ;)